Monday, September 26, 2011

SouthBound Brewing Company!

I just wanted to give all you craft beer fans who live in/near Charleston a heads up that there will be a new brewery with a "Charleston connection" opening up in Savannah, Georgia in the near future.  SouthBound Brewing Company is the beerchild brainchild of Smith Mathews, former Head Brewer at Westbrook Brewing.  Smith will also serve as the Brewmaster of his new brewery!

   SouthBound's Logo!


According to the SouthBound website:

"Smith earned his undergraduate degree in Business Administration from The Georgia Institute of Technology while working at Sweetwater Brewing Company throughout college. He started in the back of the house, working on the bottling line but later joined the events and marketing staff of Sweetwater's tap room. After experiencing all facets of the brewing industry, Smith was accepted into the fall 2009 class of The Seibel Institute of Technology in Chicago, Illinois and Doemens Academy in Munich, Germany. After obtaining an International Diploma in Brewing Technology from the World Brewing Academy, Smith returned to Sweetwater as one of their brewers and simultaneously started working on his MBA. Smith was later hired on as the Head Brewer and first employee of a start-up brewery, moving his brewing career to Charleston, South Carolina."

I first met Smith at Westbrook Brewing, while he was brewing there.  The wifey and I liked him right from the start because he always recognized us and made it a point to say hi and chat it up with us.  We hit it off pretty well since we both have a huge passion for good craft beer.  The only problem I have with Smith is that I am ridiculously jealous of his occupation and still wonder why my Guidance Counselor never told me about "beer school."  Boy would my life be a lot different!!!

In regards to the brewery, Smith and his crew (Carly and Erica) are still looking for the perfect facility to rent and once they find it, they will be opening approximately six months later.   In regards to the beer, they currently have plans to feature an India Pale Ale, American Pale Ale, and a Belgian Wit as their year-round selections.  I was recently invited to a tasting where I had the opportunity to try two of SouthBound's beers, the American Pale Ale and the Belgian Wit.   I thought both were excellent.  In regards to the American Pale Ale, I loved the unique malt flavor that was well balanced with the citrus hops.  Freakin' Tasty!!!  As for the Belgian Wit, it was one of the most refreshing beers I have ever had.  I think I could have had about 10 of them if I was feeling dangerous!  Being a IPA freak, I am very excited they will offer an IPA and can't wait to try it.  I'm pretty sure Smith is an IPA freak as well, so I know his IPA is going to be top notch!

Check out the cool Schwag we bought:



Two 32 oz. growlers filled with Belgian Wit and Pale Ale 

That is all I have to report on SouthBound Brewing for right now, but stay tuned for more info when they get closer to opening.  When they do, I plan on checking it out the first week they are open and will write a more thorough review of their beer and their facility.  Until then, be sure to check out their website and their blog to learn more about Smith, his fellow business partners (Erica and Carly), and what will surely be a kick @$$ brewery.

PS "Like" SouthBound Brewing on their Facebook as well and keep updated that way

Cheers!

Other Reviews:
House of Brews

0 comments:

Post a Comment