Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Adventures in Homebrewing C-3IPA




 This weekend I brewed the IPA recipe that Dave from The Lost Beers and I brewed last year.  You can check out that adventure here.  This is my favorite of all the beers that I've brewed, so this is actually the 3rd time brewing the recipe.  Each time, I adjust the hop schedule a bit just to make it a bit different.  The first time Dave and I brewed it, we used all Citra hops.  It was fan-freakin-tastic!  The 2nd time I brewed it (I didn't document it on the site), I used Cascade, Citra, and Pacific Jade hops.  I think it was even better!  I mean really....I thought I was I beer making genius.  This time, I went with Cascade, Citra, and Columbus hops.  Hence the name C-3IPA (the name was inspired by the classic Star Wars character C-3PO.  I hope this version, tops em' all!


photo taken from here
The actual brew day went without a hitch.  While I was brewing my IPA, my buddy Paul was brewing a Pumpkin beer.  Damn did his pumpkin beer smell really good.  I've brewed a few Pumpkin Ale's (see here and here) in my day, but never have been completely satisfied with it.  Friends/family have all seemed to like them, but there's just something missing in the one's I've brewed so far.  A homebrewer is definitely his/her own biggest critic.





So here's the recipe:

Grains
10 lbs Marris Otter
12 oz Crystal 15
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Biscuit Malt
4 oz Cara-hell

Hops
1 oz Columbus  30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1/2 oz Cascade 10 min
1/2 oz Cascade 3 min
1 oz Citra 1 min

Dry Hops
1 oz Citra for 1 week
1/2 oz Cascade for 1 week
1/2 oz Columbus for 1 week

Yeast
White Labs American Ale WLP 60 at 66 degrees

Mashed for an hour at 150 degrees.  I will post an update once I get it kegged.






Cheers!

Other Adventures!

0 comments:

Post a Comment