Saturday, February 16, 2013

Adventures in Homebrewing- Brown Ale

Now that my son Max is 6 months old, I am now starting to find a little more time in my schedule to get back to homebrewing and blogging about it (as well as the Charleston craft beer scene).  Last weekend, my Assistant-brewer-in-law Joe C and I, brewed up a batch of our Brown Ale recipe.  We brewed this last September/October, and it came out so good we decided we needed to brew it again sooner than later.  We even entered it in the Palmetto State Brewers' Open, back in December.  Although it didn't place, it did score a 45 out of 50 on both of the judge's scorecards.  Must have been some stiff competition, as that is a really high score!  Oh well, better luck next time! Still a good homebrew.  We decided to keep all the malts the same, but to amp up the hop flavor/aroma.


Here's the recipe:

Brown Ale (5 gallon batch)
Malts
7 lbs Marris Otter
8 oz Caramel 60
8 oz Brown Malt
6 oz Victory
5 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Honey Malt

Hops
1/2 oz Magnum for 60 minutes
1/2 oz Simcoe for 10 minutes
1/2 oz Williamette for 10 minutes
1/2 oz Centennial for 5 minutes
1/2 oz Simcoe for 1 minute
1/2 oz Centennial for 1 minute
1/2 oz Williamette for 1 minute

Yeast
I re-used Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast from our previous batch of Brown Ale

The brew day went great, although I was worried I would be a bit rusty since it's been a few months since I last brewed.  We mashed the malts for 1 hour at 151 degrees, and then fly sparged for about 75 minutes.  We collected a little over 6 gallons and ended up with just about 5 gallons of wort.  The Original Gravity was 1.056 and the IBU's are approximately 45.

Check out the pics from our brew day.







Stay tuned to see how this beer turns out!

PS I received these in the mail from Midwest the same day we brewed!  Can't wait to start kegging my beer.  Been bottling long enough!



Cheers!

Other Adventures!

0 comments:

Post a Comment