Saturday, February 4, 2012

Westbrook Wine Barrel Tripel Beer Review

Westbrook Brewing Company-Wine Barrel Tripel



For my birthday, I received a 750 ml bottle of Westbrook's Wine Barrel Tripel.  They actually have 3 different barrel aged versions available currently.  These are their first barrel aged beers to be released, so I have been waiting patiently to get my hands on them.  Each of the beers were aged for 9 months in different types of wine barrels.   The barrels were: 2008 Whetstone Bella Vigna Pinot Noir, Rombauer Cabernet Sauvignon, and Tiger Mount Malbec.  They are all 8.5% Abv.  I had a bottle of the Tripel aged in the Rombauer Cabernet Sauvignon and I enjoyed it immensely!



Tasting Notes

Appearance: Orange with reddish tint, fairly cloudy.  Thick head with excellent head retention and lacing.

Aroma:  Dark fruit with oaky wood and grapes.  Picking up some spices as well.  Very complex aroma.

Taste:  Sweet malt taste. A good amount of wine character.  Love the oaky cabernet sauvignon flavor with the dark  fruitiness.  Pretty much tastes like it smells.  Strong, but not boozy.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Very tasty beer.  The wine character is very prominent but doesn't overpower the beer.  I think it's a perfect match.  This is a really good beer!  I definitely want more!

Grade: A-

Cheers!


Previous 50 States/50 Beer Reviews:

0 comments:

Post a Comment